[pianotech] Catastrophic Events While Tuning...

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri May 14 22:37:09 MDT 2010

Two hours is too long.  Just have at it, especially with the first pass.
Fifteen to twenty minutes max.  The fine tuning shouldn't take more than an
hour unless you've missed your mark considerably with the first pass.  I
haven't found that dragging pianos up over several tunings is any better
than just cranking them up to pitch right from the start.  If it's been a
long time since the last tuning it's always better to just nudge the tension
down just a touch to break away at friction points before pulling it up.
Also a quicker pull will break fewer strings than a slow pull, though it
might seem counterintuitive (as long as you don't jerk it grossly sharp).
Bridges (and bridge pins) are not likely to crack, unless they are cracked
already.    I've never had a tuning pin snap off though with some Baldwin
torque I've wondered.  I do carry liability insurance (and you should too)
though I don't know whether it will cover issues related to poor piano
maintenance.  I guess the worst disaster is probably the plate cracking.
But even then, it's not something you should assume responsibility for.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com