[pianotech] player removal (Denise)

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50 at peoplepc.com
Thu May 13 19:51:32 MDT 2010

Hi Bruce,

Could take some photos if you want, but it's a simple device I came up with
years ago when I was doing a lot of Universal pouch replacement.  Two long
lengths of heavy monofilament each strung with tracker bar tubing sized
nipples numbered 1 at one end and 50 at the other.  (Yes, extras for the
extra tubes sometimes found) One end of each nipple is flattened and drilled
through, perpendicular to the length of the nipple, for stringing the
monofilament. A short piece of dowel on each end for termination and
numbering.  One set for the bass (bundle), one for treble (bundle).  It's
important to make sure that the monofilament is plenty long enough, 'too'
long isn't a problem, too short is. Tubing is removed one at a time and
inserted on the  nipples, in order, left to right, right to left, top row to
bottom row. (keeping the bass and treble on separate strings of nipples)  If
just the stack is to be removed, it can then be lowered past the
tubing/gizmo bunches.  If the upper deck is to also be removed, tightly
bagging each grouping of tubing (bass in one plastic wrap and treble in
another) aids in guiding it all up and out with the deck, without it
tangling on everything that reaches out to grab it.

Not a fun job.  Causes backache, neck and arm pain similar to an
in-the-piano plastic elbow job, but beats the heck out of retubing the
entire mess.

Debbie Legg