[pianotech] Speaking of Players

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Wed May 12 12:32:51 MDT 2010

Some exhaust valves on the pumper part, seem better designed than others.
I have seen some with a metal plate above the leather, it has slots where the leather moves when in closed or open position.
Most seem to be of the type, that has the bent wire into the 3/8" X 3/8" piece of wood that is tacked to one end of the flap valve.
Trying to save money, by buying the flap valve as a skin, didn't work. It is not prepared as the precut ones are. Maybe, I just got from a poor supplier.
Anyway, it was so long ago I forgot where I got it.
I have to go in and redo the inside ones I did, as they don't hold worth a d.....
When I replace, I was considering the metal plate version, which seems would be less prone to failure. The bent wire seems to be awkward, for me.
The old ones were missing, and I was guessing the bends.
Do you all go as was, or if a better way is found change?
This is one where all the wood had delaminated, necessitating replacement, rather than gluing the laminations back together.
I do very little player work now, just in my spare time, and now that the school year is finished, I finally get on to some shop work.
Doesn't seem to be much call for player work, and then they just want it fixed to work, not fixed properly.
I have four that I got years ago, intending to fix up and sell, but I don't find there is any interest, so they are as they were. I have one working one, and won't do anything to the others, till the operating one is sold.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.