[pianotech] X-Ratcheting Counter Bearing Shim

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue May 11 19:06:50 MDT 2010

Here I was minding my own business tuning an M when C#5
started to skip and jump all around, taunting me relentlessly.

So I reached into my bag of tricks and pulled out a half-round
segment to bring this obstinate upstart back into line.

Lowered the pitch ~1/2 tone, inserted a plastic card and pried
up the strings to slip the new counter bearing underneath.
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2010-April/022988.html

Armed with this work-around, it never really had a chance.

Another story of victory snapped from the jaws of defeat.

BTW, Leahy has stock available:

We do not have the half oval and half round listed yet on our website.
In general, these are the sizes available:

Brass Half Round Rod	Brass Half Oval Rod
1/4 x 1/8"			3/8 x 3/32"
5/16 x 5/32"		1/2 x 1/8"
3/8 x 3/16"			5/8 x 3/16"
1/2 x 1/4"			3/4 x 3/16"
5/8 x 5/16"			1" x 1/4"
3/4 x 3/8"			1-1/4 x 5/16"
1" x 1/2"			1-1/2 x 5/16"

They are all stocked in 12' lengths - you can purchase in 6' increments (or
smaller if we have a cut piece available).
If you provide me with a list of sizes and quantity you are interested in, I
can email back the pricing.  Or, you can phone us at 800-514-4106.
Thank you,  Karen
--

Regards,

Jon Page