[pianotech] Hammers with green underfelt

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue May 4 13:29:51 MDT 2010

At 14:44 -0400 4/5/10, Paul Milesi, RPT wrote:

>Does anyone know what makes of grand hammers have green underfelt?  I ran
>into a 1960s Steinway L yesterday with replacement hammers, and am just
>curious what they might be.  Thanks

They are almost certainly Abel's "ordinary".  A pale green
under-cover with a hornbeam moulding is what they use, usually with
VFG felt.  some years ago I say them fitting a set of these to a
Steinway action at the Steinway workshop in London and was very
surprised, but recently a local colleague told me they are still
fitting them -- to which models I don't know.

<http://www.abel-pianoparts.com/content.php?sprache=2&menuid=4&pageid=54>

JD