[pianotech] Netbooks and tuning software

pianofritz50 at aol.com pianofritz50 at aol.com
Mon May 3 09:10:27 MDT 2010

Hello technoids...  I do have a netbook for convenient travel "connection", and it's one I'd consider for tuning software... especially for it's smaller size vs typical laptops... though I use an HP iPaq 111 for my Verituner software, .

I bought the netbook a few months ago when I could still get Windows XP (a bit more compact, solid operating system - Windows 7 wasn't out yet), 1GB RAM, 160GB hard drive... and the very nice part was the size, weight, & battery life.  "ASUS Eee PC 1005HA-VU1X-BK 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 8.5 Hour Battery Life"  (bought via www.amazon.com)

Intel actually uses a new different microprocessor (Atom) for netbooks, tweaked for lower power consumption, so it's performance is decent (maybe similar to my 2 yr old Pentium Dual-Core, but not as fast as my Quad-Core desktop).

However, there now is a newer one w/ an even longer battery life (up to 11 hrs) using a compact version of Windows 7 (much better than Vista) which I'd probably buy today.  And I'd again by an Asus computer.  In my previous research & some fellow technoids, I found Asus rated very high w/ the fewest number of problems.

PS  I still like the iPaq/Verituner tuning system for it's small size... and I carry an extra battery (charged) for exceeding that 4-6 hr battery that the typical PocketPC has.

Bill Fritz, St Louis