[pianotech] Netbooks and tuning software

Brian Wilson wilsonpiano at hotmail.com
Sun May 2 22:15:46 MDT 2010

Hi Will

I thought one of the computer savvy techs would have replied, but here are my ideas.

Yes, you answered your question re tuning program runninng on a XP netbook. These tuning programs are small. Dean Reyburn confirms this and I think there was some discussion on this list a while back about netbooks.

What concerns me is that a netbook is basically a older type laptop, meaning small ram, harddisk etc etc. So, opening lots of windows up will test your patience! I don't know if the MS Office premium editions would run on a netbook. Best to check the infos for software and hardware.

As whether the netbook suits your "workstyle" is really up to you. Will you fit it into your tool case or would you carry it in your hand like a diary, or fit it into another small bag is what you have to work out. The netbook is about 2? pounds.(One kilogram in my language)

If you do alot of travel, the netbook would be great as you can carry on board aircraft instead of using all your weight allowance on a laptop. The netbook would be easier to read than a PDA or a smartphone, however they do take time to boot up.

Other than that, moving the netbook around the piano whilst you are working, instead of moving the PDA .

Then you have to put up with all the problems with Windows.....  he he <G>

Back to you...

Regards

Brian Wilson

Brisbane, Australia