[pianotech] Dampp-chaser improvement

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sun May 2 15:20:44 MDT 2010

A light being on or being not on is passive, in that it requires someone to
look at it.

I like an idea related to what someone else suggested... an obnoxious
intermittent beep every 10-15 seconds similar to a smoke detector with low
battery. That way, if a church or school has to move a piano, it only beeps
three or four times before the piano is in its new location, but the
mover(s) had a consistent reminder during the entire move time. Powered by a
9V battery which is changed every year (like a smoke detector) when the rest
of the DC unit is serviced. In the event of a power failure, the battery
could be removed and laid atop the instrument until power is restored. The
unit stays plugged in, so the battery being out doesn't worsen the exposure
of the power outage.

This could also be an enhancement to the "Pads" warning light, which of
course is also activated when the tank is dry.

I have also suggested to DC that they have a detachable power cord à la
computer for pianos that are moved with any regularity.  A box securely
mounted inside (preferably!) the rim that the humidistat would plug into, as
would the power supply cord. It would provide a break-away cord, rather than
having the piano rolling over the cord and ripping out all the clips and/or
bending tank hanger rods (where the cord was routed over/around them by
someone else!)

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN