[pianotech] Hammer Boring Jig

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat May 1 18:03:37 MDT 2010

At 15:50 -0400 1/5/10, William Truitt wrote:

>Some other caveats, which you probably already know:
>
>Keep your drill bits sharp, and start the first contact with the molding
>with a very slow feed so as to avoid skating when the hammers are at an
>angle other than 90 degrees.  Also, use short hammer boring bits, such as
>you can get from Pianotech, and keep the exposed bit as short as possible,
>all to avoid flexing of the drill bit.

Some while ago I posted photos and a description of the machine I
made years ago:

<http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/boringmachine/>

As to the drill bits, yes they must be short but they are special in
other ways too.  First they should have a slow spiral and then they
should be centre-pointed with special spurs and a special end
profile.  I had mine ground up to order based on the drills that Abel
used because they are not available in commerce.  A clearer picture
of this is shown below.