[pianotech] Dampp chasers

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sat May 1 11:36:22 MDT 2010

Hi Rick,

I'm including this question to our fellow CAUT members for their input.

I only have 5 fully equipped pianos in our piano faculty pianos... (out of
110).  Richard West used to have many more here, but since there was only
one of him, (and only one of me now) he found that he spent far too much
time watering the pianos. BTW the pianos still haven't grown :>).   He did
install just DC de-humidifier bars with humidistats on most of the pianos
for the nasty humid summers, though.  This does help a great deal, if I
have time to check them weekly to make sure they're plugged in. In these
days, all students have plug-in contraptions, so they unplug the buggers
and I have to check practice rooms out every other day, just to check this
out.

Unless I gain as assistant to regularly check water levels, change pads,
etc, I don't foresee doing any further installations.

Always, best to you

Paul