[pianotech] Knurling - was Glue strength for pedal lyre

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat May 1 09:51:55 MDT 2010

William said: "When doweling, I like to drill test holes in scrap to get the fit I want,
and don't forget that you can treat these dowels a lot like hammer shanks -
knurl them with a file to slightly decrease the diameter and make
installation easier."

William,
Knurling really does not "reduce the size" of a dowel...it compresses and makes the dowel round. When glue is applied the dowel will expand, slowly, so that the glue joint ends up being tight. Knurling is the proper way to glue, IMO.<G>
joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I