[pianotech] Tool for plate removal

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Mar 31 09:48:29 MDT 2010

>>A one ton chain hoist will lift       anything  you'll need, but I use two hoists for big plates.       I like the control and stability better.

         Ron N

 Greetings,
I have always used a single chain hoist.  I shortened the loop I grab to lift or lower, and removed a lot of links from the hoist chain.  There is no need to have a hoist that can lift something 7 feet when a plate only needs 12" or so.
    I used to use soft nylon rope to attach a three point rigging, but now use the nylon strap tie-downs with hooks and adjustable cams.  They are inexpensive and very convenient. After a while, various Steinway plates' idiosyncrasies, with their counter-intuitive tilts,
are learned and the fast adjustment feature of the tie-downs allows extraction to proceed apace.  I can also use them for lots of other chores, ie. for large clamping projects, they suffice for large band clams, etc.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT