[pianotech] Tool for plate removal

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Tue Mar 30 17:23:31 MDT 2010

All I've ever used is a boat winch.  It's ceiling mounted, hand crank, steel
cable (1/8 inch as I recall), some U bolts and "eyes", some D clamps, a
pulley or two to reduce crank torque/increase leverage which also reduces
speed (inches per rotation), and a cloth moving strap to attach the plate to
the D clamp (might be called a carabineer).  All rated high enough to pick
up the entire piano (1000 lbs).

I stand on a stool about a foot tall or so and turn the crank with one hand
and guide the plate with the other.  Masking tape helps to protect the inner
rim at the possible unwanted contact points.  I wouldn't be with out this
set up to do this type of work.

Lar