[pianotech] pin block inserts

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Mar 30 08:16:16 MDT 2010

This is the pin block from the piano tear down I just posted pictures of. It
is a rather complex shape with several different levels- beyond my meager
woodworking skills to duplicate. I could have used plugs but borrowing from
Terry Farrell, I decided to router out the pin fields. I drew boxes around 3
pin field areas- the two in the treble happened to come out so I could make
them the same size. I then transferred the dimensions of those boxes to a
piece of OSB board. I then drew a box 2.75" bigger all the way around (6"
router base, 1/2" cutting bit) and cut out the big box to make my pattern.
Since I was able to make the two treble cutouts the same, I only had to make
two patterns. Today I am going to a big woodworking shop owned by a friend
and I intend to cut out the inserts on a good band saw.

I plan on epoxying the inserts into place. I was wondering if scoring the
surfaces with a coarse rasp file, instead of leaving them smooth, might give
the epoxy better surfaces to bond.

Dean

Dean W May                (812) 235-5272

PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802