[pianotech] Dampp Chaser system installed on a DGC1?

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Mar 26 20:19:00 MDT 2010

Hi Pam and List,

I just spoke with the folks at DC last week on this issue.  I'm planning on
installing a system on a 6' ish grand with a player.  There are issues to be
considered, but in the end, there appears to be no reason not to use a full
system if that is what your climate calls for.

The biggest issue is one of logistics.  Often the player system components
are located right where we want to locate the humidifier.  If so, consider
moving the power source if you can so that you can still locate the
humidifier centrally.  If you can't, do the best you can to get as much
coverage as possible.

Second issue - the power source on player systems generate a LOT of heat.
You need to be very careful about positioning the Humidistat and not
allowing it to be too close to the power supply, AND, making sure it is
located in proper relation to the humidifier.  You can fiddle a little with
placement of the humidistat relative to the humidifier, recognizing that the
closer you place the two, the dryer the system will run, the further apart
they are placed, the wetter the system will run.  Apply that same logic to
location to the power source heat.  If it's too close to the power source,
the system will run too wet (the humidifier senses the heat, and reads the
environment as drier than it really is, so adds more moisture).

You may also need to consider multiple smaller dehumidifying rods as the
longer rods may not fit in conjunction with the player components.  So the
answer is yes, put them in, but take your time considering logistical
challenges, and charge accordingly if more labor is going to be involved
shifting components around.

And, in your case Pam, I'd encourage a full system if you can.  I'm also in
WI, and when the heat is on in winter, or the AC is on in summer, the
environment dries out plenty well enough to justify humidification, IMO.

William R. Monroe