[pianotech] What constitutes a good "student piano" (was 2nd bad client)

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Thu Mar 25 21:45:42 MDT 2010

Thanks for your feedback Terry.

In an April 1993 television report on the Fandrich upright piano (archived
on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d5fc6eKWqA), the idea was
presented that the Fandrich soundboard with radial ribs includes an
impedance bar designed to keep the treble notes from resonating across the
entire board, which would tend to make them muddy.  I interpreted this to
mean that this tendency toward a muddying of the treble sound is
characteristic of traditional upright pianos, and that the Fandrich
soundboard is intended to emulate the sound of a grand piano, the design of
which tends to avoid this problem.  That's the information source and the
line of thinking that lies behind my statment.  Am I off track here?  Is
there something more helpful that I can say in layman's language that will
make clear specific advantages that an upgrade to a grand would have over an
upgrade to a better upright, in terms of a home practice piano?

Floyd