[pianotech] Force equivalents in different actions

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Mar 25 07:27:36 MDT 2010

What kind of soundboard and scale are on this piano.  Did you build a new
board and new bridge for this one?  The original Knabes are a bit all over
the place with very high tensions through the tenor region but not so high
tensions in the treble.  I'm not arguing that the heavy hammer is "bad" in
terms of tone.  Only whether it's appropriate in a given situation (touch
weight aside).  A heavier hammer won't necessarily compromise clarity in the
treble in my experience, but it depends on the scale and soundboard
response.  On an old Steinway with original and weaker board this hammer
might not be a good choice depending, of course, on what you're after.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com