[pianotech] Force equivalents in different actions

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Mar 24 20:56:48 MDT 2010

Well, you are correct, people still make mistakes with poor matching of
hammer weights and action ratios.  I meant that given the information, many
seem to be on the same page in terms of matching hammer weight to leverage.
Matching hammer weight (as opposed to, say, simple density) to scale and
soundboard response is something I'm not seeing much consensus on or
awareness of, or so it seems.

One consideration in all this, however, is that I think it can be said that
the leverage, which effects hammer speed, also effects the tone.  This can
be demonstrated (maybe David Stanwood will chime on the SALA).  While little
consideration of this phenomenon is generally given, and understandably
since we don't get side by side comparisons of this easily, and with a "new"
action the player simply "adjusts", it does have an effect such that
considerations about hammer weight (or strike weight if you prefer) matching
leverage for tonal reasons as well as touchweight dynamics may be something
to consider.  Furthermore, let's suppose that one wanted to achieve the
maximum power available in a system for whatever reason, you could argue
that to achieve maximum power from the hammer you should set up a system
with high strike weights, high leverage and, of course, you would then need
assist springs in order to compensate for what would otherwise be excessive
key leading and high inertia.  Whether this has any value in real world
applications remains to be seen.    Just some thoughts.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com