[pianotech] 2nd Bad Client in 10+ Years - Seeking Advice

RptBob1 at aol.com RptBob1 at aol.com
Wed Mar 24 16:53:09 MDT 2010

In a message dated 3/24/2010 6:31:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tunerboy3 at comcast.net writes:

f full  time tuning that music teachers for the most part, do not always
follow  through with recommendations.  Offering free tunings for them does not
 necessarily mean recommendations for us.  But, it does mean free tunings
for the teacher.  Once they receive their free tuning, they tend to  "forget
about us"  and could use any number of excuses as to why we did  not hear
from their students.
On top  of that, they still have to convince the students parents who most
of the time  could care less, because they do not play it themselves, to
tune it and most  often, they will not.
If you  insist on giving the teacher something, you might consider offering
them $10  per referral off from the price of your tuning.  This would be
AFTER you actually tune their students piano.  You would not pay  them this
in cash but rather would deduct it off from the teachers next piano  tuning.
This $10, would be per year, per recommendation up to the cost  of a
tuning.  You might have better luck with that.
Jer

Terrific advice here, Terry.  I also find Piano teachers to be very
neglectful (read cheap) in keeping their own pianos in tune.  They also are  not
very qualified in determining whether or not a piano is really in need of
tuning.  If asked, most really cannot tell the difference between in  tune and
out of tune.  Exception to this, of course, is the obvious slipped  unisons
that scream out to them.  In my over 40 years of experience, I also  find
most piano teachers with very little knowledge of what regulation or  voicing
is and for the most part cannot tell if  a piano is in need of  these kinds
of attention.  We, as professionals, must somehow advance past  this vast
ignorance, and teach the teachers without seeming to be doing it for  the
money we need to charge for those services.  Not an easy  task.    I am sure
this has been a problem for more years than  most of us have been in the
business.  These things are not taught in  Conservatories or in home schooling.

And these are the same people that are asked to judge prospective piano
purchases!  What a shame that they are listened to as if they really know
what they are talking about.   And we somehow must overcome all of the
ignorance and misinformation they feed their students and students'  parents.  It
is what it is.  I suppose there are other larger problems  out there- like
Obamacare, for instance.

Bob Bergantino, RPT
Willoughby Hills, Ohio