[pianotech] Force equivalents in different actions

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 24 12:32:14 MDT 2010

Some additional thoughts:

1.  Producing identical sound loudness probably requires equal energy
transfer from the hammer to the string.  Energy is not equivalent to
momentum.  Energy is mass times the square of the velocity.

2.  To ask the question the way it has been phrased, assumes that the
motion of the key is the same in both A and B.  I think this is
unlikely, as the inertia seen by the finger at keystick B is
significantly less than in A, so the same pianist will produce different
velocity profiles in the two keys.

3.  A slower heavier hammer transferring the same amount of energy to
the string will probably have a different dwell time at the string.
Will that affect how much of the hammer's kinetic energy actually gets
transferred to the string?  Not  a simple answer, since we're talking
about energy distributed across a spectrum of partials.  Perhaps you
could equalize dwell time through voicing.  Perhaps you'd rather make
them sound as similar to each other as possible through voicing.  In
either case, it's starting to look a lot like apples and oranges.

Mike