[pianotech] Force equivalents in different actions

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 24 11:57:10 MDT 2010

Hi, David:
	What we're dealing with is momentum.  If you change the mass or the
velocity in equal but opposite percentages, you'll get the same momentum.
It is linear, not exponential.  Formulas that have a factor raised to a
power other than one (like 5 squared equals 25) will be non linear.
	Replacing a set of hammers that are heavier will require more force
to accelerate them at the same rate as the originals.  That will give them
more momentum.  An interesting question would be to find out whether the
sound produced is the same if a heavier hammer with less velocity is
compared to a lighter hammer with more velocity.  The laws of physics would
say it would be the same either way, as the same energy is imparted to the
string.  My question is, does it sound the same given the same input?  Using
a weight dropped on a key from a certain height, you could make the
experiment.  Or use the record feature of a player system.
	The pianist's perception and the instantaneous acceleration of the
key is a difficult thing to measure.  I'm sure the people at PianoDisc,
Yamaha, QRS, and other player manufacturers are swimming in this stuff.  How
to make a mechanism to impart the energy to a string in exactly the same way
as it was initially played by the artist is a very complicated affair.
Given all the differences of action ratios, hammer weights, etc., between
pianos, making a machine to replicate the original performance isn't easy.
But the same principles are at work with mass, velocity, momentum and time.
There  are differing technologies for energizing the solenoids amongst the
different player manufacturers.  They don't just turn on and off, but are
energized at various levels according to where the plungers are in the
stroke.  Similarly, the pianist is energizing the key at different points in
the keystroke.
	My question is, if you change the hammer weight and compensate for
it, will the pianist notice the change?  Is the system now more efficient
(and hence seem to have more power, whether real or perceived)?  The laws of
physics doesn't change, but the question is, how does the performer perceive
the changes you make?
	Ex-engineering student,
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego