[pianotech] Force equivalents in different actions

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 18:03:42 MDT 2010

At 16:24 -0700 23/3/10, David Love wrote:

>... The answer I've suggested seems too simple on the surface (of
>course we're assuming hammers of equal density and not consider for
>the moment the increase in blow distance required for a lower AR
>which will increase the force * distance part of the equation.) ...

It's rather difficult to understand the question because of the loose
way you use the special terms, but it seems you are seeking to attain
equal momentum in both set-ups, and momentum = mass x velocity so the
matter is pretty simple.

The following article might flesh things out a bit, if you need that:
<http://galileoandeinstein.physics.virginia.edu/lectures/momentum.html>

JD