[pianotech] 2nd Bad Client in 10+ Years - Seeking Advice

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Tue Mar 23 09:13:21 MDT 2010

Yes, discounts sometimes opens the door to all kinds of financial abuse.

Sounds like  ..........

the teacher is teaching to make extra money and has an extremely tight
budget and/or enjoys bargaining with you.
the teacher over stepped her bounds as a teacher when she assessed the
student's piano
the student's piano is in very sad shape and needs hundreds of dollars in
basic repairs
the student's parents are relying on information from a proudly biased and
unqualified source
giving group discounts on one invoice for numerous households is a bad idea.
you've walked into a log jam and need to protect youself before it all cuts
loose and smothers you.

My advice  ...................

focus on the money making opportunity.  Present your case to the student's
parents and use concise and clear language when describing the repairs and
the need for them in the order of priority.

realize that the teacher is most likely not the type of person you'll want
on your database, even though she's a possible source of income.  If you're
looking for peace and contentment, steer clear of bargain hunters.

if it were me, I'd probably charge a bit more here and there just to cover
expenses and if they went for the job, great!!  If not, I have other calls
to do.

being late to a call is sometimes a major problem for people with inflexable
schedules and can set the stage for future hassles.  When making
appointments with such households, express the uncertain nature of our work,
traffic, and other reasons for being unable to keep up with the clock as the
day wears on.  All of this is learned after the fact I realize and so now we
are left with repairing relations as well as a piano.  This all consumes
more of our time.  Scheduling can be an art sometimes.  Second guessing all
that causes tardiness is a tough game of trial and error.  You have numerous
tools to use to overcome this.  Scheduling language, timing, prior
commitments, and quality expectations of yourself all come into play here.

You'll most likely be trafficing this one for a while yet to come.  Good
luck and I hope you make some money.

Lar