[pianotech] Yamaha CFIIIS

Hank Lea colopiano at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 13:58:05 MDT 2010

Paul,

I would check to see if the hammers are 90 degree to the strings. I had a
machinist make me a small square to sit on the strings and hang down between
the strings. I line up the center of the hammer to the square. You will need
to draw a line through the hammer to determine the center line of the
hammer.

A slight over-centering isn't that bad but will get worse as the hammers get
filed.  To determine the hammer bore, you need to measure the string height.
Then measure the height of the hammer shank center pin to the keybed.
 Subtract that number from the string height and you have the correct bore.
Some technician will add a 1/6th to that for wear.

I measure the first and last hammer in all sections, then measure the center
pin height on shanks #1 and #88.  I then figure the correct bore for each
section. I have found that some piano's have enough difference to make a
tapered bore. This will allow the hammer shanks to sit at the same height,
therefore making the dip and aftertouch even along the entire keyboard. I do
this on all piano's.

Hope this helps,

Hank
www.coloradopianoworks.com

--
www.coloradopianoworks.com

Musician's Serenity Prayer:
God, grant me the serenity to start each day on a joyful note,
The courage to sing the song of my heart,
And the wisdom to trust you to always accompany me.