[pianotech] Removing a spinet action

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 14:30:26 MDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Tom Driscoll <tomtuner at verizon.net> wrote:

>  Duane,
>  In some factory procedures the action support studs are raised too high
> and jam the action bracket against  the action bolt. After removing the nut
> try and use some leverage to pry the bracket loose. Sometimes I tap the
> bracket off with the handy hammer. You might have to lower the studs if it's
> really jammed in there.
> They usually have a squared of section that you can put a wrench on.
> Find a way Dude!
> Tom D.

Since it's in your shop, do what I've done in the past, use a handy curved
claw hammer to pry the the action brackets loose. When reinstalling I use my
large flat blade screwdriver set on the flat portion of the bracket just
below the slot and the heel of my hand on the screw driver handle to hammer
it back in.

I guess they were afraid Jerry Lee lewis was going to play all of their
pianos and "hammer" the actions loose! (G)
Mike
--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

   Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service