[pianotech] 1925 Wurlitzer Value

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Mar 20 08:25:59 MDT 2010

Do you seriously think that a 85 year old, rusty stringed, most likely
worn-out-everything, <5' Wurly grand - that might cost $1K - and then
add another $1K at least to regulate action (to what extent it can be
regulated with deformed felt, etc.) and misc. small repairs (and you'd
still have a worn-out rusty piano) - would make for a more desirable
instrument than the brassy booming sound of an asian grand (a quick
work-over with a pair of pliers would mellow it out)? Better yet, just
find a ten or 15 year old Young Chang or Samick studio upright which
can be found for less than $1K - and you'll have a well-functioning,
almost new, decent sounding piano for a fraction of the cost.

If someone really wants to patch up an old beater, I'll usually work
with them and not berate them. However, I will also spend a few
minutes talking with them about what else is out there that could
yield much more musical benefit for less money.

Terry Farrell