[pianotech] 1880s Steinway Grand - viable project or no?

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 06:51:45 MDT 2010

>Under the best of circumstances you can make some money and they can be
very
satisfying projects but they are not get rich quick schemes so a careful
examination of your motives is in order.

David Love<

John - I believe that David has given you plenty to think about from a
strictly financial standpoint which is of course important to consider.

However, there are other factors that should be considered in making this
decision than just the 'bottom line.' I agree with David that you should
carefully examine your motives, for there are other reasons to become
involved in a project of this nature than just what you stand to make. Here
are some:

Experience - I don't recall from previous posts you've made which of the
contemplated repairs (complete action rebuild, dampers, pin block,
stringing, keytops and refinishing) you've made in the past, but if any of
these repairs are new to you, you're going to get an education tackling a
job like this that will be better than anything you can learn from a book or
article in the Journal. You mention farming some of the jobs out. I would
encourage you to do it all yourself. The more you do, the more you will
learn.

Confidence - An invaluable commodity. One that's hard to put a price tag on,
but one that will boost your spirits, and be gold to you down the road. When
you know in your heart that there is work you can do to improve the piano,
and you have the experience to back it up, you'll be able to convey that
confidence in your ability to your customer.

A platform for future sales - Photograph everything you do with this piano.
Print pictures and carry these along with you on tuning calls to show
customers when the topic of possible restoration work comes up. If a picture
says a thousand words, a whole album of pictures is worth its weight in
gold.

And last but not least - Something to talk about when your sitting in a
nursing home someday other than "I wish I would have done this, or I wish I
would have done that." Seriously, you want some things to count as your
"glory days," so you can sit back and bask in the memory of the things that
you've done, not the things that you didn't do. If you always "play it safe"
you won't have much to brag about to the other geezers in the home. I'm just
kidding a little here. I sadly remember my dad telling me over and over that
he wished he would have "built that shop." Be a little brave, and try some
new things.

This is just my perspective. Not nearly as practical a viewpoint from a
dollars and cents angle as David's suggestion, but more the way I would look
at it. You may make a few bucks at this, you may not. You could lose money,
if the market goes any further south than it already is. But like David
suggested, examine your other motives. I know that in my own life, if I had
always followed the practical, dollars and cents viewpoint alone, there's a
whole lot of stuff that I would never have done that I'm really glad that I
did.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do. Keep us posted.  Chuck Behm