[pianotech] 1880s Steinway Grand - viable project or no?

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Sat Mar 13 21:32:57 MST 2010

Thanks for your answers thus far, guys.  I'd like to respond to what's been
sent so far.  Pardon the formatting... my email server is very basic.  I hope
my interspersed answers and comments are discernible.

Paul Revenko-Jones wrote:
  "If you are not seriously determined to replace the board, you might rethink
that. The piano may have "measured crown" (vague meaning there), but it might
well be false crown with the board suspended by the strings across the
bridges. You would be restringing over the old board which may well collapse
further upon de-stringing, and then be asked to support new bearing. And how
are you measuring bearing, if I might ask? Just a thought. Otherwise, go for
it! :-)"

       Ok, I measured downbearing by the ol' rocker guage.  I put the middle
foot on the bridge and was able to rock it to each side.  That's about all I
know of how to check it.  Please, anybody, enlighten me of a better way.  Last
I heard, (on this list) Steinway's "spec" was "SOME downbearing."  So there is
that.  Bearing that in mind, I didn't put a feeler guage under either end.

       I remember reading somewhat recently about what you're talking about..
that once the strings, which may be holding the board UP, are loosened that
the board may "oil-can" downwards.  What would be the good test for this?  I
would THINK they'd let me loosen all the strings and then re-check for crown,
because they're not using the piano anymore.  Would that be a good test?

       Thanks for reminding me of that possible pitfall!

Kent Swafford wrote:
"We happen to have an 1881 85-note A in the shop right now. It's a very nice
piano. We have had a few surprises (mostly because of some rebuilding work
that was done at Steinway in the 1940's) but modern parts appear to work just
fine. Name another product built in 1881 for which you can still buy parts!You
might have a good piano there."

        Thanks for the encouragement, Kent.

In a message dated 3/13/2010 7:15:55 P.M. Central Standard Time,