[pianotech] basic or full service

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Sat Mar 13 20:27:15 MST 2010

Re: Keith's posts and associated responses.
There's no point in pursuing adversity for its own sake.
I think we should be happy for Keith that he as had a long run of things going well for him, and that this is consistent with a pretty clear sense of calling to what he is doing, and with a stated intention of running his business with integrity.  Let's not begrudge him this.  Isn't this what we want for each other?
It is worth saying, however, that finding our calling and pursuing it with integrity is no guarantee that we will not face severe adversity.  Sometimes the ability to persevere through the tough times is what lends credibility to our sense of calling.
I too live with a strong sense of calling.  Piano service is not the crown jewel of that calling, but occupies a significant place within it.  I seek to run my business with intelligence and creativity, but I appreciate with Marshall and Wim the challenge of pushing through the challenges of the multi-year start-up curve.
To all of you whose business if unfolding as you dreamed it would, I am happy for you.  May it continue to go well!   To those of you who feel like you are pushing against the odds, even though to the best of your understanding you are where you belong, hang in there!  Look for a way to distinguish yourself in the marketplace, and don't give up easily.
Best wishes!
Floyd Gadd,
Manitoba Chapter