[pianotech] 1880s Steinway Grand - viable project or no?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Mar 13 18:15:47 MST 2010

If you are doing this as a spec project figure out a realistic  value when
it's done (that age and only 85 notes is worth less than a more modern
Steinway), figure out the cost to get it there including a new soundboard
(if it's the original board it's too old no matter what it looks like), new
pinblock/stretcher construction if it's one of those partial plates, finish,
case parts, action, moving, cost of selling (commissions).  Figure out the
value added that you'd like to make on top of just your time (you must have
some incentive for the risk you are taking other than just your hourly
wage).  Add 6% per annum opportunity cost (what you might have earned with
the money otherwise that will be tied up for period of time you will be
working on it).  Subtract the costs from the value and see if there's still
a positive number that you can offer and expect a reasonable return.  Call
Steinway first and see if they want to buy it as a historical record piece
and compare.  Keep in mind that it's a different market than it was two
years ago and the prospects for a change are uncertain, to say the least.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com