[pianotech] 1880s Steinway Grand - viable project or no?

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Sat Mar 13 17:39:31 MST 2010

Hi list,

I have an opportunity to pick up an 1881 or 1882 6 foot Steinway Grand for
restoration.  (Serial #47546)  It has 85 keys, by the way, and another
interesting thing is that the shift pedal moves the keys to the left, to the
bass side.  The action looks fairly conventional by today's standards.

It's in need (mostly) of a complete action rebuild, dampers, a pin block,
stringing, and key tops.  The case is dinged up a mite, but all there and
should be refinished.

The scale seems to be very good, judging by my Tunelab tuning curve, and the
sustain is pretty good, too.  Soundboard has no serious cracks and I did find
crown measured in a couple of locations.  Downbearing everywhere on each
bridge, too.

Should I make an offer?  I'd be farming out (shipping from Montana) some of
the work, but I'd try and tackle a great deal of it myself.

whaddaya think?  worth a venture?  or should I stay away from it?

Thanks,

John Dorr, RPT
Helena, MT