[pianotech] basic or full service

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sat Mar 13 14:56:33 MST 2010

Don't forget? That's something I did not know - nor would I have ever guessed. Why is that? Does it just not get about 78 degrees ever, or something like that? If it does get up in the 80s and higher, what would stop home owners from getting an AC unit? I grew up in Michigan with no AC, but I've only been in two or three homes so far here in Florida where they had no AC.

Just very curious. And I guess I can better understand why you'd be tempted to slap anything on the piano that might do anything at all to reduce humidity.

Terry Farrell

We have here in the islands "The Trades"  They are trade winds that blows just about all the time from the Northeast at between 10 - 15 mph. The wind blows like that over the whole island, not just along the Northeast shore. It's like having a ceiling fan on, except that the air comes from the side, and it makes it very comfortable to live in.

Occasionally the winds come from the south, referred to as Kona winds. They are hot and very humid, and even the locals complain about them. They usually occur only in the summer, and the humidity gets up into the 90% - 95% range, and the wind just makes it more humid. During the winter months, the wind will come from the north, and at night it actually get "cold", in that the temperature drops down into the upper 50's in the mountains and 60's on the rest of the island. That might not sound  like very cold temperature, but houses are not insulated and we do not have heat. The only good thing about the wind from the north is that they bring in the monstrous waves you've heard about, which brings in all sorts of surfers, which helps the economy. Usually they are 25'  - 30' waves, but this year they had one swell with 50' waves. Some guys actually surf on those.

Wim