[pianotech] Baffling question

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 13 07:28:05 MST 2010

David:
    The link you have supplied lists many different baffles.  Which one have you been using?
    I have also purchased foam for baffles which I installed under the piano between the beams.  And I have the same experience with the amount of sound reduction.  It can take the edge off of the sound and make it tolerable, but the volume is still there.  Judy also recommends a top foam cover over the strings, which I have not tried.  Add another 15% to make 30% reduction.  Someone needs to use a SPL meter to verify the amount of attenuation.
    Years ago, I had to figure out a way to reduce the noise of a diesel engine which was installed in a motor home.  The original engine cover was removed because it didn't fit the new engine.  I built another cover, but the sound from that engine was deafening.  I found some sound deadening material which had many layers, including a heavy vinyl.  The vinyl layer was necessary to stop the sound from penetrating.  I believe that the foam baffles are simply not heavy enough to stop the amount of sound that is emitted from a piano at usual player levels.  It's the same principle that makes dampers work.  There must be enough mass to absorb the energy.  The egg-crate shape of the foam is meant to trap the echoes in a room, but it's not enough to soundproof it.
    Of course, a well regulated piano, and a properly installed player mechanism is a prerequisite.  The new grand felt rail I saw at a convention (can't recall his name) would be a very good thing.
    FWIW.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego