[pianotech] Well Tempered tunings

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Thu Mar 11 18:19:05 MST 2010

 Deand writes:

I’ve used the Vallotti-Young,Broadwood Best, EBVT-3, Coleman 11 and Coleman 16. The charts that I’vestudied don’t have many of the above styles, or they are called somethingelse. Can you help me, Ed, or anyone else, put these in some kind of order frommild to extreme, or give any other comments about them?

    It is easiest to take a look at the size of the thirds.  In the above list, from mild to extreme, I would say:
Coleman 11, Broadwood's best. EBVT-3,(?) Coleman 16, and then the Valotti-Young.  Not sure about the EBVT, since it has been a while since I used it.
Some temps. don't stray more than 4 cents from ET, in either direction. Some go so far as 7 cents bigger than ET, with an accompanying Just third at C.    I consider a temp. more extreme if the full comma (21.5 cents) is found in the most remote thirds,   and there is also the consideration of how many, ie, the Young has one third that wide while the Werksmeister III has three (if I remember correctly).   The 1/4 C is pretty extreme, since it has dim 4ths in place of 4 of the thirds, and some total consonance in the rest.   Jim Coleman mentioned to me that his #16 was very close to the Young.
     I love Classical pieces in the more extreme WT's, but have had some raised eyebrows from pianists that play a lot more modern stuff.  I have heard Schubert on a Kirnberger III and it was sublime.

Hope that helps,
Ed Foote RPT