[pianotech] "premium" vs. price

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Thu Mar 11 06:19:01 MST 2010

Ed,

Speaking of telling the truth, I am curious as to what you tell your customers that ask you how long the piano will stay in tune.  Do you tell them in six months, or, "the moment I drive away"? ;-).

 There is no way to be truthful about something that is impossible to quantify, so I tell customers that tunings are as stable as the environment. (I don't worry about the piano being played hard enough to knock strings out of place. ) They have come to the conclusion that my tunings last longer than others, and they are happy to pay extra for knowing that I am taking care of their baby.             It helps a lot when the piano is tuned in something other than ET, since with that tuning, everything except the unisons is out of tune to begin with. A mild WT seems to be pleasant longer.    As techs, we often equate the 14 cent third with being "in tune", but that is not the way musicians listen.  I am accustomed to professional pianists that comment on how "in tune" a piano sounds with a   Moore and Co. temp. It makes enough of a difference that many of my customers are mine because my tunings have their own "sound".  That helps with the price difference, too.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT