[pianotech] Tilting a piano (was Piano Dollies)

Mr. Mac's tune-repair at allegiance.tv
Wed Mar 10 15:07:00 MST 2010

Dear List,

There are numerous comments made from time to time about the pitfalls concerning the tilting of a vertical piano. Having noticed this issue arising again, I decided to post again my truth of the matter.

Here is a link to a video clip I made in 2009 showing how I tilt an upright piano using a portable one person foldable tilter; most of the time without assistance, and occasionally with assistance to comfort those present during the process.

http://www.pianostuff.kamcam.com/techgoodies/video/tilter.html

This video clip shows the importance of knowing where the feet of the tilter should be, or should not be, with relation to the bottom board, and the video clip shows  the importance of the relationship of the tilter to the backside of the piano.

This is what I have experienced over 30 + years of tilting pianos to work for me. The only instance I can remember where this type of tilting does not work well is on a few older uprights that have a rounded bottom area. Be on guard for that. It is best to have assistance with those for safety purposes.

Sincerely,

Keith