[pianotech] Premium Service

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Mar 10 13:06:47 MST 2010

Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Ron N. said: "Categorically, it's the same thing. Cosmetic only, without
> performance value. My customers tend to not want to waste
> technician rates on dusting."
>
> Ron,
> I agree, ...er somewhat, however, your car seems to run better after
> you've cleaned it.<G> Right? So, I suspect the same applies to
> pianos/cleaning.

That's fine if they'll pay for it. I'll clean pianos all day
so they can feel better about them if that's what they want.
I'll even buff those big brass casters, but I won't try to
convince them they need it.

> While I'm at it, I should say, I charge a premium price for ALL clients.
> AND, they get/expect a Premium job out of me. The idea of a "less than
> stellar" servicing of a piano, by a technician, really seems to be the
> issue....NOT a "Premium" whatever. There is too much quick n' dirty
> going on and not enough thorough service, IMHO. At least it is evidenced
> in the "follows" I encounter.

If you're charging for a service call, whatever you do in that
time, you're covered. Whether you're actually improving the
piano or not, your time is paid for. The rest boils down to
the definition of "service".
Ron N