[pianotech] Piano Dollies??

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 9 19:37:56 MST 2010

Terry, you pirate you!<G>
How's things in the flat land below the ocean?<G>
I install a lot of regular Twin Dollies on that size of piano. Best Bang for The Buck and gets the job done and out of your hair. I prefer the dollies from Paul Jansen and Son, but Piano Tec is probably just as good. Not too fond of the Schaff ones. A bit light weight for my taste. There's a trick to install in them. If you have a couple of 4 x 6's two feet long that'll do nicely. I always put the piano on a tilter, so that I can bolt to the bottom board as well as the back post bottom stretcher, (I use #14 or #16 R.H. Screws, but lags will suffice.). Once the Twin Dollies have been mounted you need to tip the piano onto the 4 x 6's, (one on each end that 'just' clear the tilter as you tip it back up). That way you can settle the piano on the 4 x 6's and not give the casters a chance to get into play. Once on the 4 x 6's and the tilter is out of the way, go to one end, lift and kick the 4 x 6 out from under. Set that end on the casters. Go to the other end and repeat. That way, one guy can do it safely.
Best Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police