[pianotech] How long do unisons hold?

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Mar 9 14:10:27 MST 2010

Early in my career I tuned for a restaurant that featured a locally well
known pianist. The guy was pretty good, but he could hammer the piano. It
was a really small Kawai grand, don't remember the model. There was usually
one or two broken strings when I came out and evidence of a couple dozen
others that had been replaced by the previous tech. I had lots of complaints
from him of unisons not holding. Trouble was I was new to the business and
little uncertain of myself. For a given unison that was out it was
impossible to distinguish if the problem was me, a previously broken string,
the physics of this particular model piano (which I've since learned is
problematic), his hard playing, or his attempt to touch up the unison with
his own hammer that he kept under the music desk. It was a harmonic
convergence of unison instability conspiracy on steroids.

I was smart enough to realize all these factors were in play. Couple it to
the fact the guy was something of an ass and the restaurant owner just
wanted the complaints to go away. Plus I was hungry for business and did not
want to lose this account. So I took it as a personal challenge to get the
darn unisons as stable as I could. I also made a habit of doing a follow up
2 or 3 times between tunings to touch up unisons which the owner really
appreciated. Sure I lost money, but my unison tuning did get better. And
I've made thousands of dollars from this account over the years with regular
tuning appointments- probably around 50 tunings total.

The pianist eventually moved to Florida and the restaurant got a different
piano. No more unison problems.

Dean

Dean W May                (812) 235-5272

PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802