[pianotech] Beale & Vader tuning system

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Mon Mar 8 19:48:29 MST 2010

Thanks Scott --

This helps a lot.

-- Geoff

. Geoff Sykes, RPT
. 626-799-7545
. www.ivories52.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Scott Jackson
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2010 10:36 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Beale & Vader tuning system

Comments below.

Geoff Sykes wrote:
 > Greetings all -
 >

 > I have a (potential) customer who recently acquired a Wegman baby
grand with
 > what he referred to as requiring an unusual tuning procedure. He was told
 > that it required both a special tuning hammer and a technician that was
 > trained for this method. From what I've so far discovered it's using what
 > is/was referred to as the Beale and Vader Patented Tuning System. I
have not
 > yet seen this piano.

Beale/Vader doesn't require special hammer or tip; plain old number 2 or
3 should work. As for the technician, the  main requirement is slow
careful work and patience. It will take you longer than normal.

 > Google eventually came up with this. Wanna see how it works:
 > http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5471902.pdf

Geoff, that patent is not the Beale/Vader system. In fact it criticises it.

 > Question one: Why did this system fail? Too expensive to manufacture
or did
 > it just not work very well.

Your pdf answers your own question:
"However, in constructions where a metal pinblock is used, it is
impossible to ease or set the shorter length pin which is firmly
embedded in the pinblock, without stressing it to the degree of
eventually having it break off."

 > Question two: How does one go about tuning one of these things? What
is the
 > special technique?

Do not bend the pin! Not up, not down, don't try to 'set' the pin. Only
rotate! If the pin doesn't seem to move, then STOP immediately. This is
the one piano where WD40 is to be encouraged. Spray the pins liberally
with Balistol or whatever is your favourite spray-lube. If a pin won't
move, then there is a cover behind the pin-block that can be removed to
access the locking grub-screws. Start counting and hope that you loosen
the correct screw. Conversely, if a pin won't hold, then tighten it's
lock-screw. This takes lots of extra time!

 > Question three: Is this piano unique enough to be of any real value, for
 > whatever reason?

Certainly not unique in the home of Beale in Sydney NSW Australia; there
are still plenty of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beale_Piano
http://www.mmdigest.com/Archives/Digests/199812/1998.12.15.16.html
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ICYQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=G5UDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6499%