[pianotech] Nordiska voicing query

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Mon Mar 8 11:33:01 MST 2010

Ron

I would suggest steaming the hammers.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789
808-349-2943
www.Bleespiano.com
Author of:
The Business of Piano Tuning
available from Potter Press
www.pianotuning.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Koval <drwoodwind at hotmail.com>
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: Mon, Mar 8, 2010 3:57 am
Subject: [pianotech] Nordiska voicing query

A little help, please?

One of my clients upgraded from an upright to a Nordiska grand about a year or so ago.  They're done with the free tunings and I was there over the weekend.  While the tuning was close, the tone was just super pingy and bright.  They told me the dealer/tech voiced it down a little, but it brightened up again.  It gets played a bunch, so I'm looking for anyone with experience in getting long lasting results out of these hammers.

My feeling is that I'm going to have to do some serious deep needling....

Anyway -
1. traditional approach?
2. side needling?
3. liquids?
4. dremmel tool?!?

I was able to quickly spray (isopropyl alc.) voice it down to an acceptable level, but will be returning for another round in a month or so.

Ron Koval
chicagoland

Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up now. =