[pianotech] Beale & Vader tuning system

Bruce Browning - The Piano Tuner justpianos at our.net.au
Sun Mar 7 18:52:25 MST 2010

Geoff,
Some interesting information is available at:
http://overspianos.com.au/frameset.html
Also you may contact:

Ray Green
7 Kinsel Ave., Kingsgrove 2208, NSW
Australia
Phone: 02 9554 3795
although I'm not sure if he is still living!

Many Beale pianos, with the Beale tuning system which you describe, are
still being tuned successfully today in Australia.
In the past I spent much time, at my first encounter to tune each Beale
piano, backing off the locking screw at the back of the pin field, and
re-tightening to "hand-tightness". Since this was not always consistent,
and some pins did not release when the screw was loosened, this did not
always achieve a successful tuning procedure.
Having done this procedure I now spray the front of the pin field with
silicon lubricant, which penetrated the length of the pin and makes for a
satisfactory tuning.
I suspect the obstacle to a standard tuning is a partial "cold weld" of
the pin to the frame over time when not tuned regularly. These pianos were
evidently touted as not requiring tuning over their lifetime, hence the
development of the problem.