[pianotech] Beale & Vader tuning system

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Sun Mar 7 18:07:18 MST 2010

Greetings all -

I have a (potential) customer who recently acquired a Wegman baby grand with
what he referred to as requiring an unusual tuning procedure. He was told
that it required both a special tuning hammer and a technician that was
trained for this method. From what I've so far discovered it's using what
is/was referred to as the Beale and Vader Patented Tuning System. I have not
yet seen this piano.

Google eventually came up with this. Wanna see how it works:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5471902.pdf

Question one: Why did this system fail? Too expensive to manufacture or did
it just not work very well.

Question two: How does one go about tuning one of these things? What is the
special technique?

Question three: Is this piano unique enough to be of any real value, for
whatever reason?

I found this subject showing up several times in the archives but the
discussions were mostly about other things.

I look forward to everyone's responses.

Thanks -

-- Geoff

. Geoff Sykes, RPT