[pianotech] Damper Puzzled

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sat Mar 6 09:35:10 MST 2010

That isn't a puzzler, it's an mystery inside of an enigma. Unsolvable
without being there.

In a message dated 3/6/2010 1:22:32 A.M. Central Standard Time,
defaziomusic at verizon.net writes:

Barbara wrote:

|Well, Joe, what was it?

|Barbara Richmond, RPT

|near Peoria, Illinois
Joe writes:
Hi Barbara - thanks for asking.
It turns out that a small quantity of liquid had
spilled inside the action cavity, and had landed
on the damper tray felt, right under the two
damper underlevers in question. It had made the
felt hard just under those two underlevers.
As is normal, there was lost motion between
the tray felt and the underlevers. When the
tray was set in motion, it had enough inertia
and hardness to launch those two underlevers
forcefully. Since all of the bushings were
slightly worn, the extra " oomph" was enough
to cause the damper felts to pluck the strings.

I needled that small area of the damper tray
felt, and the two problem notes then behaved
exactly like their neighbors.
Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh (er, Baltimore at the moment)