[pianotech] Steinway finish ?

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 6 07:13:15 MST 2010

I meant to sign it.....gwasshopper!  =)  correct, funny, and a somewhat new usage for my last name!

Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 08:02:06 -0600
From: bill at a440piano.net
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Steinway finish ?

Steven,

Scratches on the fall board and anywhere else on the finish can be removed just as you suggested.  Depending upon the depth of the scratches/streaks, 0000 steel wool may do it, or you may need to go to p600, or p400 or p320, to get deep enough.  In essence, use the least abrasive grit you can get away with, and work your way up to 0000 steel wool.  Everything is done as wet sanding, using a lubricant such as wool lube with the water.  Work cautiously, and avoid the edges always.  I've yet to meet one of these finishes that didn't burn through at the corners very quickly.  Keep in mind that you'll almost always need to do at least the final rub with 0000 across the entire surface you are addressing in order to get it to blend well.  Straight strokes, gwasshopper, are essential for a nice satin rub.......  It is also helpful to use a polish after the steel wool to blend things again.

This will have to be modified with new Steinway pianos, however as the new ones have a high-gloss Polyester finish on the fallboard.  Repair and maintenance is a bit different for these.

Proper way to re-install??  Whatever works.  I usually place the fallboard on the keys in the open position, about at the front edge of the sharps.  Then I position the two cheek blocks on their posts.  Then, lift the fallboard slightly and rotate to about 45 degrees and place into position.  Some folks put the cheek blocks on outside the piano and balance the assembly to install as one piece.  I've had the cheek blocks fall off too many times so I've stuck with the method I've outlined above.

William R. Monroe