[pianotech] Steinway finish ?

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 6 06:40:27 MST 2010

Hello,

I worked on a newer Steinway D yesterday with black satin finish.  After replacing the cheek blocks and fall board I noticed on the front of the fall board some small streaks.  Not scratches.  I think they came from the sharps??  My fault I think.  I also noticed a few of them near the edges of the case where the cheek blocks go back in.  I thought I was careful but the design is tricky to re install without some manuevering.

My questions:

1.  Can the "streaks" be removed?  - oooo steel wool and a gentle touch?

2.  what is the proper way to replace this style of fallboard and cheek block to avoid this problem?

3.  any thoughts on the cheek block "scratches"?  (to remove them - they are very minor)

Thanks for the help.

Steven Hopp

Midland, TX