[pianotech] Question about Pianomation & Story & Clark Grands

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Mar 5 18:42:04 MST 2010

Well, it's a Story & Clark.  ;-]

They're OK.  Nothing to write home about, but no real glaring deficiencies,
other than the usual problems associated with 5' grand pianos with players -
Thunky bass, poor regulation from the factory, parts alignment could be
better, friction levels are typically uneven throughout.  About what one
would generally, prejudicially expect.

The QRS systems that are installed at the factory are a more elegant
installation, and function rather well, IME.

No special considerations as far as I'm concerned.  You should be able to
pull the action without heroic measures, but do check to see if there is a
record strip before doing so.  If there is, the connection (ribbon wire)
will be at the treble end of the action, probably secured to the side of the
action cavity.  You must disconnect the ribbon wire before pulling the
action.

By design, you shouldn't have to depress the keys to re-install the action -
but go slow anyway.  I have seen QRS systems set up such that the solenoid
plungers have been adjusted up after installing the action because the
action frame has flexed up when secured.  On these actions, if you want the
player to function as well as possible, the plungers will be above the key
tails when re-installing the action, so use the keyslip to depress all the
keys when re-installing the action.  Enjoy.

William R. Monroe