[pianotech] Boston damper lift tray

Paul Mulik tubist at swbell.net
Thu Mar 4 17:24:52 MST 2010

Hello all,

A while back I tuned a nearly-new Boston grand, and all of the damper flange screws were very loose, some nearly to the point of falling out.  I guess this was due to an oversight at the factory; it seems impossible that they could have merely worked themselves loose, since the other action screws were good and tight.  BTW, this piano is played only by young children.

I went back to tune it today, and now one of the flange screws for the damper lift tray has fallen completely out, and the others are also quite loose.  I guess I probably noticed this the first time but couldn't figure out how to tighten them.  I really can't remember at this point.

Anyway, I'm still not sure how to get to these flanges, since there is no way to get a screwdriver in there.  The lift tray and rail are metal (aluminum, I guess).  On top of the rail are 3 wooden blocks, one at either end and one at the bass/tenor break.  The screw that has fallen out is the one at the treble end.  Each block has two screws going straight down through the top, and the flanges are on the back of the blocks, pinned at the top.

So here's what I'm thinking: maybe I can remove the dowel rod that lifts the tray, then use a very long, skinny screwdriver, straight down through the strings, to remove the screws from the blocks, then take the tray completely out.  Then, I will hopefully be able to flip the blocks up out of the way to tighten the flange screws into the rail, and then reassemble everything.

Is this the way to do it?  And should I put something on the screws (Loctite, perhaps?) to prevent them from working loose again?

Thanks in advance,
Paul Mulik, Joplin MO