[pianotech] Center Pin Zapper

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Mar 4 14:44:39 MST 2010

Paul McCloud wrote:
>Sizing the felt with a shrink solution,
> with a pin inserted, works well to compact the felt in the
> bushing. It seems to me, though, that doing that makes it
> likely that a big increase in humidity is going to re-swell
> the bushing again.  Back to square one. I'd like to hear
> from some old-timers about this process of shrinking/sizing
> the bushings, and the longevity of it.

I'm old, so I'll comment. While I've never done a lot of
shrink sizing, I've not known it to not last. Many thousands
of people through many years would have been ecstatic to be
able to un-shrink their suddenly too small clothing by the
addition of moisture. It depends on why the bushing is tight
(or gummed up) too. Shrinking won't have a lasting affect on
verdigris polluted centers.
Ron N