[pianotech] 1968 Yamaha P2

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Wed Mar 3 17:13:51 MST 2010

How can I tell if this is a gray market piano, and if it is, does that really make much difference?

It has a black stain finish.  Were they using polyester in the 1960s?  It feels like plastic to the touch.

I think I can get it for $1,000, is that price about right?  I don't usually buy and sell pianos but this seems like a really good bargain.  Would it maybe be worth a bit more if it had a natural wood finish instead of the black satin?

Thanks,
Paul Mulik, Joplin MO

If it is in pristine condition, then it really wouldn't make any difference, but Japanese models usually had only two pedals.

It could be polyester, with the sheen rubbed out.

If you like the piano, and are willing to pay $1000, then the price is right. It might be worth a little more if it was a wood finish, but since it can't be refinished to a wood color, not to be sarcastic, but why ask the question?

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789